[SGVLUG] AT&T vs DSLExtreme offerings

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 08:48:34 PDT 2012

I was able to get around the outage situation by keeping both lines.  It
took a bit of talking with their sales droid but she placed the uVerse
order without the kill order.  Once they installed the fiber and got things
running I would have been able to drop my previous DSL.  It turned out that
it was giving me better bandwidth than uVerse at half the price so I
dropped uVerse instead.

It turned out that she had lied through her teeth to me about the service
promising bandwidth it just could technically not deliver.  It turns out
that AT&T has run the fiber, but has not been granted permission to use it
(that takes about a year the installer informed me) so I was just being
delivered copper for the first year and charged for fiber.  You can figure
out if this is happening to you by asking for other services (phone/TV).
If they are not offered you may not actually have lit fiber in your
neighborhood.

Matt