[SGVLUG] Reminder: SGVLUG Meeting: Web Exploits/CDA Section 230 and Free Speech - Thu 6/11

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Wed Jun 10 21:31:36 PDT 2020

 Hi all,
We have an SGVLUG meeting this Thursday (tomorrow) at 7pmon Google Meet

 https://meet.google.com/myv-zoid-tgh
Please turn on video during introductions. Mute unless you're speaking.

https://www.meetup.com/SGVTech/events/zvpphlybcjbpb/

We have two talks this month, both fairly informal.
A brief survey of web exploits
By Jackie B.
Jackie will cover a few basic exploits using PortSwigger Academy for labs.

Why saving Section 230 is crucial to protecting free speech online
By Jess Bermudes
In recent years, people from all areas of the political sphere have sought to curb the protections provided to online platform operators by Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act, including most recently a congressional bill that would have hampered end-to-end encryption and an executive order by President Trump to investigate and draft legislation to repeal the act itself. This is a mistake that will severely inhibit free speech online. We'll talk about the history of legislation in this area, common misconceptions about these Internet laws and what we can do to protect a free and open Internet.

Agenda:
6:45 - Introductions, chat
7:05 - Announcements.
7:15 - Talk starts
Unless you have another suggestion, the July SGVLUG meeting may be a joint meetup with Write the Docs LA focused on some form of tech documentation.I would personally love to have a talk on Jupyter Notebooks.

Lan