[SGVLUG] Reminder: SGVLUG meeting on 3/14

Lan Dang via SGVLUG sgvlug at sgvlug.net
Fri Mar 15 01:22:44 PDT 2019

 Thank you everyone for coming.  Thanks, as usual, to Jess for emceeing.  We had the usual announcements and Linux in the News that segued into talking about SCALE.

- The pies were good.  We ordered boysenberry, raspberry (naturally), and pumpkin.
- Passing the hat netted us $330, which should keep us for a while.  I will hand it off to James McDuffie sometime this weekend; he is the one that pays the bills.
- I don't remember who was interested in helping to plan the 25th anniversary of SGVLUG, so I'll punt until next meeting.

- Dustin Laurence is scheduled to reprise his talk on ZeroMQ at next month's SCALE.
- J.T. Nelson stopped by and offered to give us a more detailed version of the talk he gave at last SCALE: http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale/16x/presentations/democratizing-hollywood-and-game-industry-technology-open-source
- We had a good discussion about SGVHAK and came to the following conclusions* It's not financially feasible to start up a makerspace.* We could start using Dave's shop as a makerspace, but we need to limit our liability by looking into what it would take to register as a not-for-profit and get an umbrella insurance policy.  (Michael Starch)* We also want to restart our Saturday meetings, starting in April.  We will look at whether we can get a room at the library on a regular basis. (Lan)* We're interested in acquiring a laser cutter that will live at Dave's shop.  Lan and Starch are willing to fund purchase.  We need to research a model that will meet our needs. (Roger, Dave, MPS)  Due to the CO2 laser being an expensive consumable, we estimate charging $1/hour to cover maintenance and replacement costs.

- Many of the SCALE A/V team were at the meeting, so we ended up doing an in-person SCALE postmortem, though we still appreciate feedback.  The outcome is that we plan on continuing to work on software and hardware, with planned monthly telecons and planned monthly work sessions.

Lan