[SGVLUG] Linux laptops

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Thu Mar 10 12:45:49 PST 2016

On 03/10/2016 12:25 PM, Braddock Gaskill wrote:

> "inexpensive" definitely limits the options, but 14" System 76 laptops
> start at $650 which isn't too bad and assembled in the USA.

True.

> But to echo what Scott said, I do almost all of my work on Linux, but
> it is Linux running fullscreen in VMWare on the Macbook provided by my
> employer.  The experience is usually quite seamless, and would
> certainly be easier for students to install and get running than a
> risky re-partitioning.

I have a vague memory that VMWare is considerably more seamless than
VirtualBox. I took a class where all the work was in a VirtualBox guest,
and it was clunkier than native. I dunno if I could budget for VMWare.

Arguably none of that is as important as the convenience of not screwing
with Windows, though. In a school setting it does make a great deal of
sense.

Dustin