[SGVLUG] GiggleFiber?

Dan Buthusiem dan.buthusiem at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 00:02:54 PDT 2016

I've done a load balance with Charter coax and DSL Extreme (AT&T UVerse)
VDSL on a dual WAN router at home with my roommates. For me, Charter has
good speeds, but their random three plus hour long outages got me
frustrated enough to get a backup. Charter's phone support has been
somewhat mixed, but their field techs seem to have gotten much better over
the years.

1. Static IPs are available with a Charter Spectrum Business account.

http://business.spectrum.com/content/staticip

https://www.spectrumbusiness.net/support/subcategory/topics/ip-information

2. Charter uses coax. They only use your phone copper if you ask them to
patch the analog jack from their VoIP modem to a phone jack to provide
voice service throughout a building, though this is generally discouraged
at residences due to causing a higher draw on the modem's battery backup
(if present). AT&T UVerse usually requires full use of your POTS copper,
but may also use coax to connect you to their network. I haven't figured
out what makes them use coax, though the gateway they force you to use
comes with a coax option.

https://www.spectrumbusiness.net/support/article/support/internet-welcome-kit/

Click the PDF, then go to the section for Service Installation.

If you have any other questions on the service or equipment, feel free to
ask me.

I wish I lived in an area with Giggle service. GiggleMax looks like
something worth trying. I'd like to hope it'd be better than UVerse.

Dan