[SGVLUG] Can I Manually Change an IP Address on my Local Machine?

Mic Chow zen at netten.net
Mon Apr 4 17:24:54 PDT 2016

I recently helped with a network issue with another AT&T U-Verse router
and this might be related.  It seems that the routers made by Pace for
AT&T does not know how to auto-negotiate correctly.  It will connect
with some network devices but fail to connect on others.  For the
specific issue I fixed, it was one of the Western Digital My Cloud
drives that would not connect to the any of the four switch ports.  On
the router you can set auto/10/100;full/half but none of those
combinations work.  The "cloud" drive worked at his previous place, and
worked if you connected via the Ethernet port to the computer.  AT&T's
"fix" for this is to put a network device (router/switch/hub) between
the cloud and AT&T's router.  A little odd google-fu turned out that
many people are having auto-negotiating issues.  From the threads it
depends on the intelligence level of the support person from AT&T and
which router then send you, if it will know how to deal with
auto-negotiation.  I did read later that you could SSH into the "cloud"
drive and manually set the network settings on the interface, but that
would be difficult for my friend to undo/modify later.  It does know how
to auto-negotiate between my friend's other devices (blue-ray player,
AppleTV {although I find it odd that the new AppleTV would have just a
100-full network interface instead of a 1G}), just not this drive.

More digging shows that it could be the drivers for the Broadcomm
chipset but there is no ETA on when there will be a fix.  How often will
auto-negotiate retry?

Hope this helps.

-Mic

On 04/04/2016 01:48 PM, Matthew Campbell wrote:
> Good afternoon, sorry to hear about the problems you are facing. > Network problems are sometimes easy to fix, but intermittent problems
> can be a real bear to diagnose. > > If you have more modern Linux
machines the command to list your current IP is: > > ip addr > > The
older method to list all your interfaces (whether they are > configured
or not) use: > > ifconfig -a > > If you have any Windows boxes you can
get their configuration with > > ipconfig /all > > Getting all the
machine's current states is a start but you really > want to figure out
whether they are configured with a static address > or if they are
getting a connection automatically though DHCP.  A > likely problem may
be that the uVerse guys installed a conflicting > DHCP server in your
house.  If you have two servers handing out > conflicting addresses you
would see intermittent failures. > > Good luck! > > Matt > > > >
--------- > Matthew Campbell > Storage and Cloud Strategy > Office of
the CTO > > Kaiser Permanente > 99 S. Oakland > Pasadena, CA 91101 > >
626-564-7228 (office) > 8-338-7228 (tie-line) > 818-314-9897 (mobile
phone) > Green Center 3-North, 031W29 > --------- > kp.org/thrive > > >