[SGVLUG] Linux on windows 7 ?

John Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Sat May 10 20:16:05 PDT 2014

In a posting purporting to be from RG Wilcox
<e320r837i4031j316 at yahoo.com> but lacking a digital signature, it is
written:

> I have a friend at work that I gave 2 puppy linux Cd's.  They don't
> work on Win 7, but the Ubuntu 14 I gave him does work.

As another poster asked, what do you mean by this?

Whether puppy linux boots depends on the hardware/bios, not on whatever
other "OS" might be installed on that hardware.  You could erase the
other OS from the hard disk (good idea, by the way), without changing
whether puppy linux boots.

[That said, it must be admitted that even wikipedia writes of puppy
linux booting on a Windows machine: "It is possible to run Puppy Linux
with Windows 9x/Windows Me." [1]  Am I missing something?]

In a later posting, it is written

> Ok the 2 Puppy linux do not work on his windows 7 computer.  He told
> me there is something the mouse arrow when he moves it follows an icon
> but can never catch it.  It's like mouse chases the icon game but
> never boots up.

This is reminiscent of mouse problems that arise in certain virtual
machine contexts.  Is he trying to boot puppy linux in a virtual machine
running under Windows?  If so, disregard what I wrote above.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

--
OpenPGP key: http://ininx.com
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13