[SGVLUG] Sat, Jan 25: Repair Cafe at The Shed and SGVHAK at Hastings Branch Library

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Fri Jan 10 01:40:08 PST 2014

Hi all,

I mentioned this at LUG tonight.  I asked a friend for help in finding meeting venues when we lost our room at Caltech.  We were offered the use of the Shed (1355 Lincoln Ave, Pasadena, CA 91103), a permaculture and sustainability community space in Pasadena (though seems on border of Altadena) on Lincoln and Washington.  See here for more details: http://lalomadevelopment.com/events/shed-open-house

The catch was that it wouldn't be available until the April timeframe because it will be too cold; it was formerly a commercial car garage or something like that.  This is a pretty generous offer for an organization that doesn't even know us except through my friend.

On January 25th, there will be a Repair Cafe event at the Shed from 12pm to 3pm.  Disclaimer: my friend is an organizer of Repair Cafe.  It's not listed anywhere yet, but we were given advance notice at an SGVHAK meeting so we could save the date.

Repair Cafe is a zero-waste, sustainability movement that links people with broken items with people who can repair said broken items, whether it's a ripped seam or a lamp.  It sounds like a good opportunity to check out The Shed and contribute something to that community.  So I propose that one of our new SGV Tech Meetup events be an outing to the Shed for the Repair Cafe.  They could use more volunteers to fix things.  Or we can bring something to be fixed or contribute to their Really, Really Free Table.   If you have repair skills and want to participate, let me know and I'll get the info relayed to the volunteer coordinator, so they can announce what kinds of repairs will be available.

You can check out their Facebook and Meetup pages for more details
https://www.facebook.com/RepairCafe

http://www.meetup.com/Repair-Cafe-Pasadena/

Incidentally, Jan 25th is also when we have our Saturday SGVHAK meetings at Hastings Branch Library from 2pm to 6pm.  So you can go from Repair Cafe to HAK.  The Saturday HAK meetings have been very family friendly; our youngest active member is 3 or 4 years old :)

Lan