[SGVLUG] Innovate Pasadena

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jan 10 09:21:08 PST 2014

One of my to-do items from last night's meeting was to provide info here
about the local Innovate Pasadena group, so here's some background info
with relevant links:

Here's their mission statement from their web site:

    The vision of INNOVATE PASADENA is to create a vibrant ecosystem
    of technology and design innovation in the greater Pasadena area
    that supports sustainable economic growth.

The group's main web site is here:
http://www.innovatepasadena.org/

They also have a discussion group in LinkedIn:
http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Innovate-Pasadena-Public-4764238

In October they helped organize the Pasadena Innovation Summit, which
brought such notable speakers as IdeaLab founder Bill Gross, Virgin
Galactic CEO George Whitesides, and many more:
http://innovationsummitpasadena.com

Innovate Pasadena is closely affiliated with and helps support
TechSparks, another local org that "aims to spark innovative new ideas
by providing a social forum for entrepreneurial minds" - they host
periodic gatherings to bring innovators and investors together:
http://techsparks.net/

In addition to seminars, panel discussions, and other events, Innovate
Pasadena holds a weekly meeting every Friday morning from 8:15AM to
9:15AM at a local coffee house:
http://www.meetup.com/Innovate-Pasadena-Friday-Morning-Coffee/

They have different speakers every week, ranging from investors, to IP
attorneys, to serial entrepreneurs, and more.

Their Friday morning meetings are free, but RSVP through their Meetup
page is strongly recommended as they frequently book full a few days in
advance.

I've been to at least a dozen of the Friday morning meetings, and will
be going again now and then whenever they have speakers relevant to my
business.  If any of you want to go drop me a note and it would be great
to meet up there.

While not directly affiliated with the City of Pasadena, Mayor Bogaard
and others in our local leadership are very supportive of their
activities to promote Pasadena as a tech hub.

Given the group's focus and their members, I believe that over the long
term getting to know the people who participate in Innovate Pasadena can
only be a good thing for an org like SGVLUG.

Also -

Not directly affiliated with Innovate Pasadena but well worth knowing
about if you haven't been already:

On the second Saturday of each month the CalTech Entreprenurs Forum
hosts panel discussions on a wide range of topics of interest to
technology entrepreneurs and enthusiasts:
http://www.entforum.caltech.edu/

These events include an hour of networking before the panel with
refreshments provided (usually with good coffee from Jones), and more
networking again after the panel.

These events cost $40 if paid in advance, or $50 at the door.

I've been to many of these and found them all very worthwhile - lots of
good ideas presented, and have made new friends there.

FWIW, Deezmaker's Joan Horvath is a member of the Forum's Executive
Committee (and also frequently attends Innovate Pasadena events).

The next one I'll be going to is on April 12: "Personalized Education
150,000 Students at a Time: Opportunities in Online Learning"

The panel on March 8 may be of special interest to Katz and some of the
other LUG members: "Cybersecurity, Encryption, and Entrepreneurial
Opportunities in the Business of Data Security"

I hope to see some of you at events for either the Enterprise Forum or
Innovate Pasadena.  I've very much enjoyed the people I've met through
them, and the ideas circulating there have been very helpful in shaping
my business.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems