[SGVLUG] Feb meeting recap

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Thu Feb 13 23:05:46 PST 2014

We had a good meeting.  Lot of announcements and discussions and great talks. There were 28 or 29 people; several new faces.

Burger Continental has been working well as a venue.  The new layout with all the tables down the center worked out pretty well.  We may need to tell  future speakers not to depend on the venue's wifi, because the signal is poor near the projector.  We still have to work
out some kinks in the meeting format.  I like the venue because we are a lot more social.  But there are a few more distractions,  which might be disconcerting to the presenter of the month.

Richard reported on social media and found that Linked In and Meetup seems to work best for our group.   The SGVTech Meetup group is very active, since it includes meetups for the Ubuntu Hour, SGVLUG, SGVHAK, and SGVDrupal.  The meetups are not just for the regular monthly meetings.  Anyone can suggest a meetup, so this includes conferences, hackathons, or other events that might be of interest to a subset of the group.

James explained how the SGVLUG website is updated.  It is hosted on GitHub and generated using Pelican, a Python-based static site generator.  He made a tool that can generate meeting notices by pulling the information directly from Meetup.  Presentation slides here: http://sgvlug.github.io/website_presentation/#slide1

Jess gave a very approachable and enthusiastic introduction to GStreamer, an open source multimedia framework that is used by various popular media applications and has a lot of options if you want to build your own media app.
John Kim gave a preview of the talk he's giving for the SCALE The Next Generation track.  It was a walk through the history of open source  with vivid depictions of some pivotal figures like Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman.

Jess and Michael Starch started off a discussion about hackerspaces.  Null Space Labs is having to move from their downtown location, so they might end up closer to the San Gabriel Valley.  The company that bought Hackaday has been making noises about starting up a hackerspace.  Christefano talked about his efforts with the Pasadena City College Continuing Education Center (CEC).

Lan