[SGVLUG] ATT U-verse vs TimeWarner cable

John Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Thu Sep 12 12:04:26 PDT 2013

In a posting purporting to be from Rod Morison <rod at morison.biz> but
lacking a digital signature, it is written:

> 2nd Dan's thoughts: I switched from slow covad dsl to chartered
> internet+phone (no tv) and it's been pretty solid, bandwidth claims on
> the mark...one unplanned day outage in 12 months and their support
> reasonably explained a board blew in their last mile node.

> Also, uverse will not allow another DSL connection if uverse is active.
> That was as stopper for me anyway, as I'd have to be dark for some days
> in provisioning, waiting for final install.

Sounds pretty good.

So while you had both dsl and Charter, did you have two independent
Internet connections?  Do you keep the dsl even now, for redundancy?

Does Charter do email with you so you don't have to resort to voice?
What's a good email address there for inquiries?

The OP mentioned static IP address.  Does Charter provide that?

How about port blocking?  53 for a local name server, 25 in for SMTP
mail receipt, 25 out, 119 for Usenet peering?

RFC 4084, "Terminology for Describing Internet Connectivity", defines
classes of Internet service.  Does Charter position its service in this
classification, such as by mentioning it in their terms of service?

How much does it cost?

--
OpenPGP key: http://ininx.com
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13