[SGVLUG] National Day of Civic Hacking 6/1-2

John Kreznar jek at ininx.com
Wed May 29 09:33:02 PDT 2013

In a message purporting to be from Lan Dang <l.dang at ymail.com> but
lacking a digital signature, it is written:

> Figured this group might be interested in the National Day of Civic
> Hacking, which is actually more like National Weekend of Civic
> Hacking.

> This will take place June 1-2, 2013 across the nation.  The goal is to
> "use publicly-released data, code, and technology to solve challenges
> relevant to our neighborhoods, our cities, our states, and our
> country."

> http://hackforchange.org/

Ironic (or deliberate?) that this coincides with an article in the
current Business Week about how the U.S. Government hacks the world.

   How the U.S. Government Hacks the World [1]

   By Michael Riley on May 23, 2013

Sample:

   The men and women who hack for the NSA belong to a secretive unit
   known as Tailored Access Operations.  It gathers vast amounts of
   intelligence on terrorist financial networks, international
   money-laundering and drug operations, the readiness of foreign
   militaries, even the internal political squabbles of potential
   adversaries ...

[1] http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-05-23/how-the-u-dot-s-dot-government-hacks-the-world

--
OpenPGP key: http://ininx.com
 John E. Kreznar jek at ininx.com 9F1148454619A5F08550 705961A47CC541AFEF13

  (What's "our country"?  Are they sure that everyone on its roster has
  consented, or even requested, to be there?)