[SGVLUG] SGVLUG Meeting Thu, Jul 11th: Distributed version control system and Mercurial

Lan Dang l.dang at ymail.com
Thu Jul 11 23:14:27 PDT 2013

So at Burger Continental, I think it was Carlos who mentioned hearing about a major project whose main git repositories were corrupted.  Jess looked up the story and noted the reason was because the git repo was being mirrored across multiple servers, but one of the servers had disk issues.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/KDE-narrowly-avoids-disaster-1829776.html?from-mobi=1

Reading up more on it, it seems that the problem was corruption of a filesystem after an update, which messed up some master file that kept track of the 1500 repositories, which led to a number of repositories being deleted..  The sysadmins had many avenues for recovery, but they were lucky in finding a secondary server that hadn't synchronized yet.

Anyway, so what does this mean for my claim that a changeset id is enough to guarantee the integrity of the repository?

I think that how git deals with file corruption and what integrity of the changeset id means is answered in this Stack Overflow question

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/964331/git-file-integrity

Lan