[SGVLUG] ATT's 2wire products are braindead

Scott Packard spackard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 21:22:54 PDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Matthew Campbell <dvdmatt at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Any chance AT&T blocks incoming port 22
> Scott, good ideas there.  I can confirm that AT&T is not blocking the SSH
> port as my router's firewall log is showing the incoming packets and
> admitting to dropping them.  See the log excerpt at the bottom of the
> initial email in this chain:
> INF 2013-07-26T20:15:42-07:00 fw src=162.200.153.165 dst=172.28.1.2
> ipprot=6 sport=40058 dport=22 Session Matches User Pinhole, Packet Passed
> INF 2013-07-26T20:15:42-07:00 fw src=162.200.153.165 dst=172.28.1.2
> ipprot=6 sport=40058 dport=22 Drop traffic to 172.16.0.0/12
> This shows that the packets are getting through to the 3801, that it is
> recognizing that I have defined a pinhole rule to pass port 22 traffic on
> to 172.28.1.2 and that it is dropping all traffic to the entire 172.16/12
> subnet from the second packet on.

I don't own one of these, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Maybe there's another setting that needs to be relaxed to allow the traffic
through.
I had a DSL modem that wouldn't allow traffic through until I went to
another configuration page and relaxed the "security" via a bulk setting.
(The application being blocked was outbound IMAP, I think; Outlook
connecting to a popular public mail server.  Was helping out a Windows
consultant.)
Your trace gives me the feeling it passes one rule and is blocked by
another.

I assume you've Googled for the answer already (can see you did).  Someone
posts that even configuring it to be very close to a bridge it still will
likely block incoming port 22.
http://forums.att.com/t5/forums/forumtopicprintpage/board-id/gateway/message-id/182/print-single-message/true/page/1

Another person says his was working, then stopped, and his fix was his
internal IP was statically assigned on the server but within the modem's
DHCP range.  He fixed it by going static IPs only.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25531146-2WIRE-Port-Forward-Problem
In the thread someone says you can use either DMZPlus or open ports, but
not both.

Regards, Scott