[SGVLUG] ATT's 2wire products are braindead

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 09:33:09 PDT 2013

Thanks again Scott, I read those posts also.  Nothing pertained to the
problems I am having.

Your thought about other settings is interesting.  I was thinking of
relaxing the DOS filters to see if they were triggering on the second
packet.  That was the only thing I could think of that would allow one
packet, then block the whole subdomain on the second packet.

The problem is that you can't turn off the firewall on this box.  When you
choose DMZ plus to allow all traffic the router automatically directs all
incoming traffic to the first device it discovered after original power-up
witch is the tablet the AT&T technician used to configure the box.  There
is no way to change this direction target.  If I select another target the
DMZ option disappears out of the menus.  and I am only allowed to configure
individual port direction.  This firmware is badly flawed.

Ok, figured it out.  The router will only allow DMZplus to an IP address on
the same /24 that the LAN ports are configured to.  Because I am asking it
to direct traffic to a VM on the same /16 it blocks the target address
automatically because nobody would ever run anything but 192.168 in their
home or office...

This is the same mentality that led them to disable the ability to
configure a static IP address on the LAN ports.  I had to turn on the 2wire
DHCP server and give it an address range of 1 to allow configuration of
those ports.  Who programs this?  Can it be more stupidly broken even if
they tried?

Too bad AT&T violently disallows DD-WRT on the router.  :(

Well, back on the phone with AT&T for another 2 hours of bliss...

Matt