[SGVLUG] ATT's 2wire products are braindead

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 19:53:52 PDT 2013

Thanks all for the numerous thoughtful replies, both on and off list.

> the URL to use to get to the management and diagnostic console on my
2wire box
Per my earlier post with all the details (which I now see never made it
through to the list) I am running the new uVerse 3801HGV router.  This
router does not have the /mdc menu.  AT&T third level tech support and the
manufacturer both confirmed that they no longer support extended features
in AT&T specific routers.

> Any chance AT&T blocks incoming port 22
Scott, good ideas there.  I can confirm that AT&T is not blocking the SSH
port as my router's firewall log is showing the incoming packets and
admitting to dropping them.  See the log excerpt at the bottom of the
initial email in this chain:
INF 2013-07-26T20:15:42-07:00 fw src=162.200.153.165 dst=172.28.1.2
ipprot=6 sport=40058 dport=22 Session Matches User Pinhole, Packet Passed
INF 2013-07-26T20:15:42-07:00 fw src=162.200.153.165 dst=172.28.1.2
ipprot=6 sport=40058 dport=22 Drop traffic to 172.16.0.0/12
This shows that the packets are getting through to the 3801, that it is
recognizing that I have defined a pinhole rule to pass port 22 traffic on
to 172.28.1.2 and that it is dropping all traffic to the entire 172.16/12
subnet from the second packet on.

> it's not clear from your original email if you trying to ssh inbound to
your house or outbound
Claude, yes I am trying to get inbound SSH traffic to pass through the
router to my SSH host.

>What has changed since you were last able to use ssh?
My current DSL modem (a 2wire 2701HG) died.  AT&T would not support fixing
it, my only options were to purchase a new DSL router from a third party or
take advantage of a fabulous and unique opportunity to switch over to
uVerse for a $26/month discount.  It turned out that tripling my bandwidth
reduced my Internet monthly bill by $5/mo the second year and $30/mo the
first so I decided (against all previous experience) to give it another go.

> Setting up OpenWRT or DD-WRT or some such and bridging it to the 2Wire
will give you MUCH nicer firewalling options.
Yeah, I am running a large Cisco router behind the AT&T DSL.  It fronts 52
ports of gigE, 8 ports of VOIP and lots of other features.  Unfortunately I
don't have a Cisco account for $n,000 per year so I can't download the
firmware that includes firewall functionality.  I am stuck using the 2wire
for my firewall, not at all the best solution.  I also have 2 great FireBox
firewalls, but they again require a $n00/mo firewall update service to make
functional...
http://www.watchguard.com/products/?gclid=CPmQzMba3bgCFWXZQgod-XIAjQ

If anyone has experience with the fireboxes and wants to help me get one
working in trade for the second one please feel free to drop me a line.

> Also, ssh -vv is often helpful.
Thanks Rae.  Unfortunately I am using ConnectBot from my tablet to test the
connection, I don't know how to offer it flags.  I don't see anything in
connection or application settings here.  I tried to use my (again
braindead) ISP to bounce SSH but they don't support outgoing SSH
connections. (Doh!)

I set up my laptop to VPN from my home network into work, then transferred
to another server up in the bay area, bounced through an east coast data
center then back to my home using the -v flag in SSH.  It just confirmed
that ddns is working and that nothing is getting past the firewall.

So no luck so far...  :(

Matt