[SGVLUG] OT: Why aren't there more women in tech?

Dustin Laurence dllaurence at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 24 15:09:21 PDT 2012

On 03/24/2012 02:35 PM, Rae Yip wrote:

> I personally welcome supporting data when it is provided, but no
> rigorous statistical statements have been presented (at best a claim
> of "correlation").

Nitpicking Lad here again.

IIRC the conversation started with a claim about data in the general
vein of "fewer women than men in Linux."  Nobody offered to quantify
that, but then nobody questioned it either.  The tendentious issue tends
to be what theories explain the data, or the assignment of value to
various outcomes (which leads to a need for some action), a game that
implicitly rests on a theory about the data (and an underlying
world-view, since values don't come from data) in order to assign value.

For example, I claim that women are terribly underrepresented as
customers in LA area strip clubs, and most drastically so in the
nastiest, seediest dives.  I suspect no one will disagree and insist on
statistics, even though that claim must be bald ipse dixit on my part
because I've never read a study on the subject and have never been in a
strip club.  Is this a cause for concern, a call to action (perhaps male
stripper tables at job fairs, or tax credits for women visiting peeler
joints)?  I'm going to guess everyone will answer no, but of course one
must have a theory about the effect that produces the data in order to
come to that conclusion.  That theory probably is defensible by a chain
of argument beginning with the observation that female mammals have a
much greater investment in reproduction, female humans most of all, and
that female choice controls mate selection in humans.  If explained
properly (i.e. without my quasi-academic language) I doubt anyone would
functionally disagree with those premises either.  The matter of
interest is the chain of logic leading from the premises to the data and
whether it is valid, persuasive, illogical, unlikely, etc.

Here's another example: I don't believe I've ever met a female plumber,
and I imagine the percentage is pretty low, yet there doesn't seem to be
any movement to encourage little girls to consider a plumbing career.
Why?  Not because of the data, but because of a low assignment of value
to plumbing as a profession.  I'd be quite comfortable in making the
same claim about slaughterhouse employees as well, without even
anecdotal data.

The point is that the actual issue, though I agree it is better avoided,
is really not about data--it's about explanations of data and the
assignment of value to various statistical distributions.  It isn't to
say that Linux clubs are as seedy as strip bars--well, not usually
anyway.  Um...darn.  Well, anyway, at least our drinks are cheaper. :-)

Dustin

PS: Rae for prez