[SGVLUG] OT: Why aren't there more women in tech?

juanslayton @dslextreme.com juanslayton at dslextreme.com
Sat Mar 24 15:42:23 PDT 2012

The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and
tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will
have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its
theories will hold water.
-Gardner

In a Hegelian universe, anything can be connected to anything else if you
try hard enough.  In this case you don't have to try too hard.  Monthly
attendance is a continuing concern.  I'd would go after any identifiable
group who might have an interest.  Even lapsed Amish....  I don't need to
collect data to observe the gender imbalance in our attendance.  The causes
of that imbalance may not be relevant to Linux programming, but they are
relevant to the health of our (dis)organization.  So the topic is, IMHO,
perfectly relevant.  And yeah, I'd go after the ladies.  I'd even take a
stack of fliers down to the local Curves, if that would do any good.

John of uncertain ancestry.  Possibly canine....