[SGVLUG] OT: Why aren't there more women in tech?

Rae Yip rae.yip at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 14:35:43 PDT 2012

I view SGVLUG more as a social group that has a common technical
interest, rather than a purely technical gathering where feelings
don't matter. Just because it's an error to apply statements about
ensembles to individuals, doesn't mean people like it when someone
makes depreciating statements about an ensemble they belong to. I'm
just asking posters to be sensitive to that.

I personally welcome supporting data when it is provided, but no
rigorous statistical statements have been presented (at best a claim
of "correlation").

I'm not usually interested in limiting politically incorrect
conversation, but as Dustin has already noted that this particular
debate (which is basically about nature vs. nurture) tends to devolve.
So why rehash it? I'd rather redirect the conversation into something
more useful (read Linux-related).

-Rae.

P.S. Perhaps I should have written "less socially accepted" instead of
"poor taste". I never meant to imply that any offense was intended on
the part of the people making the ensemble statements.