[SGVLUG] Buying a spool of ethernet wire - cat5e or cat6? Copper or aluminum? Where? How much?

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 02:37:48 PDT 2012

There are a couple of corrections to Stan's notes.

If you use Cat5e connectors with Cat6 cables you will have one of two
things happen:

Cat 6 is higher gauge wire than Cat5e and your connectors just won't work
with Cat6 cable.  I have run across this several times and in my experience
you get no worky.

If you do manage to squeeze a cat6 cable into a cat5e connector it works
fine just like a cat6 connector.

Dan, I have about 4000' of Cat6 left over from my house so you're using
Cat6.  ;)

Matt

---------
*Matthew Campbell*