[SGVLUG] Buying a spool of ethernet wire - cat5e or cat6? Copper or aluminum? Where? How much?

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 01:20:53 PDT 2012

Hi,

Stan has some great advice.

Cat6 or Cat5e?

I would put Cat6 in, granted it is thicker and not as flexible,
but this is your house, and I take it you plan to keep it for awhile,
so you may as well as spend a little extra for better wiring.
( most of the cost will be your time to install )

DO NOT purchase any networking items for Home Depot.. you
will get ripped off in $. I think last time I used monoprice for the
jacks and wall plates. The company i purchased the cat6 wire
is no longer around. Get solid copper.

Also, you may actually want to run Coax from the Disk/Antennae down
to your wiring closet... and then branch out to your TVs..
so you may want to run coax on some of the runs.

Got plastic electrical boxes which I cut the backside out so
I could easily mount the faceplates. ( some friends just get a
metal frame for that. )

The thing you want to spend time on is determining the

terminating "closet". Some people I know wanted to change it
after installing the wiring.. that does not work very well.
Pick the location and stick with it.

I like to drop 3 lines per location.. 1 for possible POE VOIP phone
thus that means 3 boxes for easier pulls.
( hint different color cables make it easy to ID the lines )

You probably want to drop an electrical line and network drops in
an area where you want to put another WiFi access point.. this will
depend on the size and construction of your home. Some homes
are small enough so that you only need one WiFi point.

Oh, and to minimize breaking drywalls get the long flexible drill
bits the electricians use. Very useful.

Let us know how it goes, or if you need help ..
matti