[SGVLUG] Shopping for computer for father-in-law...

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Tue Aug 14 10:29:43 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:16 AM, matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> When do you need it by?

Soon - he's freaking out.

> Do you need to connect to any older peripherals?

Good question.  I suspect anything he has is USB, but I'll ask.

> Also, many of the basic systems comes with limited
> power supplies... no a big deal for most, unless you
> want an extra GPU which needs more power.

Right.  He seems unlikely to need an extra GPU; motherboard graphics
should be fine.

> If you need it soon, here's a quick look what I found
> Currently Staples has a i5 for $600... from their weekly AD
> http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-1256s-Desktop-PC/product_937659
>
> Costco has a i7 Version for $600 ( way better :-)
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11771214&whse=BC&Ne=5000135%204000000&eCat=BC|84|4797&N=4001604%204294899772&No=17&Mo=16&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US
> ( note the Costco I have seen it hit some of the deals sites.. getting 4 out of 5 "hotness" on dealnews.. )

I think the i5-3230 should suffice, and systems based on it are about
$100 cheaper.

The Dell I'm thinking about is on the far right of
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-620/fs

costco's web site seems to have the same computer for the same price:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11762162

Wish I could tell what Costco stocks in their stores.  He'd rather buy
one in person (in Minneapolis) than order one online, I think.
- Dan