[SGVLUG] Shopping for computer for father-in-law...

Christopher Smith cbsmith at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 10:44:40 PDT 2012

I think with $500 you can go beefier... like an i7 or better still one
of the new Sandy Bridge era CPU's, so long as you don't need a crazy
graphics card (and the latest Intel chipset finally has a pretty
decent GPU built in). My brother recently got this for $500 (no longer
available of course):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2544789&SRCCODE=WEBLET03ORDER&cm_mmc=Email-_-WebletMain-_-WEBLET03ORDER-_-Deals

Looking at NewEgg I found:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103434

..and that has a G850, which only gives you a tiny bit more future
proofing than the cheaper G6xx's (DDR3-1333 vs. DDR3-1066 is not
likely to extend your life much).

--Chris

--
Chris