[SGVLUG] Shopping for computer for father-in-law...

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 10:16:44 PDT 2012

Hi,

When do you need it by?

if (Soon)
  I would keep an eye out on back to school specials.
else
  best deals seem to be around thanksgiving
endif

Do you need to connect to any older peripherals?

If so watch out, as most of the newer stuff comes
without the "legacy" ports.
( such as I really want to connect to a couple old but still
very good laser printers.. )

Also, many of the basic systems comes with limited
power supplies... no a big deal for most, unless you
want an extra GPU which needs more power.

If you need it soon, here's a quick look what I found
Currently Staples has a i5 for $600... from their weekly AD
http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-1256s-Desktop-PC/product_937659

Costco has a i7 Version for $600 ( way better :-)
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11771214&whse=BC&Ne=5000135%204000000&eCat=BC|84|4797&N=4001604%204294899772&No=17&Mo=16&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US
( note the Costco I have seen it hit some of the deals sites.. getting 4 out of 5 "hotness" on dealnews.. )

thanks