[SGVLUG] Electrical Tape!! Re: Buying a spool of ethernet wire - cat5e or cat6? Copper or aluminum? Where? How much?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Aug 3 14:29:01 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM, matti <mathew_2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> First task is to determine the location of the NOC,
> then how to get the lines to the attic,
> determine if we have long enough runs of cable

The existing phone and coax all go down to the basement,
and there's enough room for a patch panel there.

> Oh, and you'll need some better screws for us to put up the
> telco backer board. ( dry wall screws are great for a lot of things,
> but rather weak )

The patch panel needs to be mounted on a concrete wall;
nearby stuff is mounted on 2x4's screwed to the wall,
and that sounds like a good plan.

The existing coax termination is, um, crappy, so I'd
like to put a coax patch panel next to it.

So, what are good patch panels to buy?
24 port cat 6:
http://www.computercablestore.com/24_Port_CAT6_Rack_Mount_P_PID48062.aspx
24 port F coax:
http://www.computercablestore.com/24_Port_Fully_Loaded_F_Ty_PID49363.aspx
Brackets:
http://www.computercablestore.com/2U_Wall_Mount_Brackets_catID2078.aspx

> Do you know where you want to mount the wifi routers/aps?
> ( maybe at the stairwell area? )

I might cheat and just plug them in to one of the wall plates
we'll be installing.  For the ground floor service, might try
putting one in the basement instead of on the ground floor.
- Dan