[SGVLUG] Advice to those starting their tech careers

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 09:02:26 PDT 2012

Hi,

I'm very glad to see this discussion brought up, wished I had seen more of
this when I was entering the IT profession:

"Program something before noon every day.
Small is good.
Don't be afraid to fail.
Try test-driven development -- when it fits, it's very helpful."
- Dan

Dan has some great advice, and I do highly recommend the
advice and guidance he gives out. Dan has a real internship,
one which he will really help guide you. ( note, I suspect
that many internships I see advertised on Craigslist are
scamming people - the way to determine that is to see if
someone there really has the talent and time to mentor an
intern. )

My advice ( everyone, PLEASE feel free to ad to this )

0) Get the best grades you can. The first couple jobs
you will get may depend on this as well as the classes
you may have taken.

1) Follow Dan's advice ;)

2) Learn as quickly as you can, and learn to retain.

3) While in school, work on your networking - and I mean
social networking. Your classmates and your instructors

will be very important connections.

4) Offer to tutor MBA students with their IT classes!
Especially if they are already working. ( hint UCLA offers

MBAs for working executives, and they have some $ to

pay for your time ;-) [ This suggestion is
to help you get better business connections. ]

5) Join any business related clubs you can and make
friends there. [ Note, never promise what you know you

do not have time to deliver ]

Early in your career:
6) ONCE you stop learning you need to find a new job!

7) DO not be afraid to take calculated risks early on.
Find great opportunities to advance your experiences.

8) Try to do work which you will be proud to have done.

hmmmm.... what else???

thanks
matti