[SGVLUG] Xen

Matthew Campbell dvdmatt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 14:05:50 PDT 2011

The problem is that the SuperMicro Mobo requires a half width power
supply.  They are made by a number of vendors in sizes ranging from
250W to 1600W.  The problem is that they are a 'server' product made
for dual live supplies for hot swap maintenance and start at around
$250.  I ended up going with an undersized power supply (I usually go
for twice the rated draw for cool reliability) that I was sold by the
case supplier (direct from China, again something I just *never* do).
I got the case here:

http://www.plinkusa.net/

Very nice solid cases, and dirt cheap.  I did end up paying more than
I wanted to for the PS, but it was the last component that I had to
have to get the system to work.  I ended up with a 700W power supply
when I really wanted 1200W, but the system when finished only draws
about 400 so I'm OK.  The PS does run on the hot side though as the
built-in fan is pathetic (it comes with a 20 nm fan I would guess ;).

Matt

--
Matthew Campbell
Storage Solution Consultant