[SGVLUG] More on the 23" monitor

Thomas Moore thomasmoore at speakeasy.net
Sat Jun 18 21:15:45 PDT 2011

The Hannspree monitor, HF235, is a wide screen, 16x9 format.
Setting this up on Gnome was straight forward using the NVIDIA
sever settings, However I spend a lot of time on the command
line so I would like to set that up. I found a lot of discussion
on the internet about using the VESA vga= command in lilo (I am
running Slackware 13.0) but ran into problems when I tried
to implement the suggestions. For the standard 4x3 format just
entering the appropriate number e.g. vga=788 (800x600x64k)
works just fine. But the numbers for the other format...well
let's just say I broke my system and had to jump through a
lot of hoops to get it running again. (wiped out the MBR) So
if anyone has any suggestions on how to get the terminal set
up in the wide format, I would appreciate hearing it.

Thanks.

Tom