[SGVLUG] Droid phone recommendations

Stan Slonkosky stan.ke6zc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 10:24:31 PDT 2010

I haven't tried to do this yet, but I have a Droid and I believe if
you Google around, there is a way to use it as a hotspot, though I
think this requires rooting the phone. I have been using PDAnet from
junefabrics.com , which costs about $30 and only connects via USB or
Bluetooth.

Check out cyanogenmod.com for information on changing the firmware on
several Android phones. I used this when I had a T-Mobile Mytouch, but
I returned that phone because of limited 3G coverage. I haven't yet
tried this on my Droid.

Anyone needing only 3G data could go to
http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=402_407 and sign up
for a no-contract $50/month lease that uses Verizon. 3G Store offers
this as a way for people not to get locked into a 2-year contract
since 4G should be available before the contract is up. See the web
site for the details and costs. You do have to pay something for the
modem and then return it when you no longer want to use it.

I saw notices around Pasadena in April about hearings for Clearwire
and I assume this is for their 4G rollout which is supposed to happen
later this year. Sprint owns 51% of Clearwire. As far as I know, the
closest Sprint/Clearwire 4G service areas are Las Vegas and a small
area in Santa Clara.
--
Stan Slonkosky