[SGVLUG] Shared Storage Woes

Solomon K. Chang skevin521 at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 17:51:33 PDT 2009

Hola Luggers,

I've reached that point in every sysadmin's life where he needs shared storage, and realizes that NFS sucks.  Has anyone has success with a shared storage solution other than NFS?

I've considered looking into some cheaper SANs, but truth to tell, I've never touched, much less seen a SAN up close.  How does it connect to each machine?  Through a USB port?  Doesn't seem likely, since SANs have been around longer than USB.  Through a 9 pin serial port?  Also doesn't seem likely.

What are some shared storage solutions other people here have used?

Solomon