[SGVLUG] Questions on the Asus eee (was Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Netbook...)

Shang-Lin Chen shanglin.chen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 10:13:25 PDT 2009

I have an Asus 1000HE netbook.

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Emerson, Tom (*IC) <
Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com> wrote:

> Speaking of netbooks, I was looking at the Asus eee-pc line last night --
> seems this has expanded greatly since it was first introduced [though
> finding an actual reseller that sells the /linux/ version is proving
> difficult...]  It looks like the latest offering is the "S101[H]" (the "H"
> suffix indicates an actual hard disk rather than flash/ssd)
>
> In my search, I found some articles that indicated that Asus was being a
> little frisky with compliance to the GPL - is that still true, or do those
> of you who actually have an Asus not care (or not know) about this?

I can't say I was really concerned with that. Mine came with Windows XP
installed. I now have it dual boot with Eeebuntu.

> Also, per the main asus site and comparison chart, it appears that ALL
> models of the eee come with "1GB of ram" as a minimum, but nowhere on the
> site do they offer ram upgrades (and, in fact, per the above mentioned
> article re GPL compliance, they've also put a "void if removed" sticker over
> the door to the memory module, so a 'user upgrade' of memory would
> conceivably void the warranty...)  Does anyone know if they can, in fact, be
> bought with more memory?  (is it even a wise idea?)

I bought a 2GB RAM upgrade from TigerDirect, via Amazon. My netbook did not
have a sticker over the door to the memory module, so at least for the
1000HE it seems that upgrading the memory is fine.

Shang-Lin