[SGVLUG] Questions on the Asus eee (was Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Netbook...)

Mike Rubel mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu
Wed Mar 25 10:25:04 PDT 2009

> Speaking of netbooks, I was looking at the Asus eee-pc line last night --
> seems this has expanded greatly since it was first introduced [though
> finding an actual reseller that sells the /linux/ version is proving
> difficult...]  It looks like the latest offering is the "S101[H]" (the "H"
> suffix indicates an actual hard disk rather than flash/ssd)

I have the eee 1000, which is solid state.   Purchased from newegg.com.

The installed Xandros distribution does not come with a compiler or other
build essentials, so I added a debian repository (instructions were
online), but the two went out of sync due to a libc incompatibility at the
last web browser upgrade, and I have not been able to compile on it since
then.  I'll probably have to switch to eeebuntu or fedora, but am hesitant
because everything else (wireless, suspend, sound, webcam, etc) works so
well right now.

Regarding memory, I know that it is expandable to 1GB, but I haven't tried
expanding it.

-Mike