[SGVLUG] Questions on the Asus eee (was Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Netbook...)

Emerson, Tom (*IC) Tom.Emerson at wbconsultant.com
Wed Mar 25 08:04:29 PDT 2009

Speaking of netbooks, I was looking at the Asus eee-pc line last night -- seems this has expanded greatly since it was first introduced [though finding an actual reseller that sells the /linux/ version is proving difficult...]  It looks like the latest offering is the "S101[H]" (the "H" suffix indicates an actual hard disk rather than flash/ssd)

In my search, I found some articles that indicated that Asus was being a little frisky with compliance to the GPL - is that still true, or do those of you who actually have an Asus not care (or not know) about this?

Also, per the main asus site and comparison chart, it appears that ALL models of the eee come with "1GB of ram" as a minimum, but nowhere on the site do they offer ram upgrades (and, in fact, per the above mentioned article re GPL compliance, they've also put a "void if removed" sticker over the door to the memory module, so a 'user upgrade' of memory would conceivably void the warranty...)  Does anyone know if they can, in fact, be bought with more memory?  (is it even a wise idea?)