[SGVLUG] Wine or VM

Claude Felizardo cafelizardo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 00:16:23 PST 2009

Here's a somewhat related question regarding VPN and Wine.

I normally run Linux on my desktop at work but I have to use IE to
access the corporate website for doing expense reports, etc.  Rather
than rebooting into WinXP to do the monthly stuff, I either bring in
my laptop which is also setup for dual boot or wait till I get home
where I can use the winXP machine but there's usually other stuff I'd
rather do.

I've been contemplating installing either WINE or a VM but wondering
which solution is best.  Would running winXP via VM be too much for a
2.8 GHz Dell Optiplex GX280 (single core with hyper threading I
believe) with only 1 GB of memory?   Or I could try Wine but would I
use the windoze VPN client or would it be able to access the client
running on Linux?  I pretty much would only need to run IE though
actually I'd need to run MS Office as well - can't use OpenOffice as
there's always some kind of incompatibility problem one way or the
other.

claude