[SGVLUG] server colocation options

Michael Proctor-Smith mproctor13 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 16:10:36 PST 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Mike Rubel <mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu> wrote:
> I am considering an upgrade from a home-based server configuration to
> leased rack space (about 2U) a data center.  For my relatively modest
> bandwidth needs, a cursory web search suggests that this would cost around
> $100 to $150 per month, depending on options.  However, there are a lot of
> providers in the L.A. area, and I don't have a lot of experience on which
> to base decisions.  What are some of the potential pitfalls and
> considerations of server colocation?  Are some providers particularly
> good, or particularly bad, for these kinds of applications?

Other then price including what you are paying for bandwidth, who the
bandwidth is from.

There are some really low rent places that don't do a good job of
keeping there colo cool.

Then there are what services are included some places charge for
reboots or remote fingers.
Also are they available 24x7 or do they charge you for after hours
access, funny thing is that after hours is when you want access more
of the time for production systems so that you can minimize downtime.
In your case it might be nice to not have to take time off work to
access your server.