[SGVLUG] server colocation options

Mike Rubel mrubel at galcit.caltech.edu
Thu Dec 17 14:16:37 PST 2009

I am considering an upgrade from a home-based server configuration to
leased rack space (about 2U) a data center.  For my relatively modest
bandwidth needs, a cursory web search suggests that this would cost around
$100 to $150 per month, depending on options.  However, there are a lot of
providers in the L.A. area, and I don't have a lot of experience on which
to base decisions.  What are some of the potential pitfalls and
considerations of server colocation?  Are some providers particularly
good, or particularly bad, for these kinds of applications?

Thanks,
-Mike