[SGVLUG] Hosting a Site over multiple locations and public IPs

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Tue Dec 15 16:08:03 PST 2009

You might want to ask on the UUASC.org and SFVLUG list, as well as here.

This is a fairly advanced topic, and any advice you receive you should take with a hefty grain of salt.

Some folks who have this experience might not be willing to share it for free. :)  We can be bought though (usually after meeting dinner is sufficient, at least for me).

I've worked on multi site applications (evite.com, several e-commerce disney properties such as disneyworld.com etc) and the only thing I can say with confidence is "it depends". One would need far more data on your setup then you have provided here.

Do you have your own address space? What kind of links between the data centers? What sort of routing?  What sort of load balancers? Is the provider the same one in two different locations?

etc....