[SGVLUG] Hosting a Site over multiple locations and public IPs

Edgar Garrobo egarrobo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 15:54:28 PST 2009

I'm on a project where we're hosting an application which has a web
interface and a Citrix service interface.  I've set up two co-location
sites, one in Irvine, CA and one in Chicago, Il, for redundancy and to
distribute the user load.  I'm wondering what the LUG's opinions on the best
way to hose a multi-location website?  Both sites have separate public IP
addresses but identical equipment and the data is replicated between sites
at block level by the NetApp storage devices.  Ideally a user would be able
to go to www.mydomain.com and hit whichever site's web server responds first
and if one location was to go down, the users wouldn't notice since they
would be automatically connected to the other site without having to use a
different URL.

Any suggestions on the ideal setup for such a scenario?

Thanks,

Edgar