[SGVLUG] SGVLUG meeting Thu 4/9 "Job Hunting in Today's Tough Market"

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 17:37:00 PDT 2009

I have a prior engagement & am SUPER bummed that I cannot make it to
the LUG meeting this month. But I did want to chime in for those folks
that do not know Todd.

In late December, Todd took the time to have a phone chat with me
since I was looking to get back into my old, beloved field of QA.
While I´m still looking for a good fit for me, the things that Todd
mentioned to me were invaluable. I was concerned about being away from
the field for a few years so as we chatted he informed me of 2 other
programming languages that are being used in QA environments. I had no
idea that Ruby & Python were now being used to create test cases but
once he mentioned I might want to look into those skills it made
sense. I´ve since been teaching myself Python & Ruby is next!

Todd did not have to take 20 minutes out of his very busy schedule to
help me out. I was not applying for a job at his employer or none of
that. Basically, there wasn´t anything in it for him except providing
some advice to an old colleague (he was the recruiter that brought me
to CS/TM back in the day). But this is the type of person he is. It´s
actually a nice fit, Todd like to share his knowledge w/others & isn´t
this what open source is all about?

Again, really bummed I cannot make it to get more informed & show
support for the LUG & Todd. I sure hope my little story wasn´t too
long. :)

Having said that, I know we do not record many meetings but boy would
it be great if someone would post the major talking points, a
screencast, etc. *Anything* would be great!

--miguel