[SGVLUG] Recap of last nights presentation

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 10 13:00:51 PDT 2009

Hi,

Wow, I really enjoyed last nights presentation,
AND i really wished we had more people in the
meeting. Honestly I REALLY wished to have seen
more people, as Todd had some great information!
( PLEASE help spread the word about our meetings
folks. )

Ok, So here's a quick re-cap of my recollections

Mike had some really cool news items.

My personal favorite was the google data
center stuff... google basically attempts
to maximize efficiency and has customized
their setups so that each system has it's
own battery backup, and a pile of servers are
in a modified shipping container. ( lol!
like they add server capacity based on
shipping containers. )

Todd's (the geek hunter) presentation:

1) Job market is tight.. recently was FROZEN
"no one" hiring, those hiring couldn't convince anyone
to leave their job ( people didn't want to be
"last one in, first one out" - tho Todd believes
that companies are very strategic in their
layoffs. )

2) The Job Market is moving NOW,.. but still tight.
We had a few job positions available mentioned
in the meeting, and a number of people looking
for jobs. ( tho I didnt see much matching, maybe
a mismatch of skills )

3) Everyone ( especially job seekers ) should
NETWORK more, become better communicators,
presenters. Try toast masters.

[ hint - presenting for the SGVLUG helps you
[ become a better presenter/communicator ;)

4) People are working more normal hours
and are attempting to be seen more.
( easier to layoff people you don't see .. )

5) Todd showed statistics of what job positions
where unemployed... some tech jobs were about 5%
one in particular was only 1.8%.

6) Don't name names to outside recruiters.
When a recruiter asks you where else have you
applied and whom you've interviewed with, don't
give the info up - as they will try to place
someone else in those positions.
ALSO don't let them spoil you by sending your
resume out in a blast to everyone in the world,
tell them that you want to approve of each submission
before hand. ( outside recruiters made 25-20% of
1st yr salary of those placed, now its 15%, 20%.
THUS IF you do go through an outside recruiter
expect to be more expensive.. )

Outside recruiters are starving right now. Harsh
conditions.

7) Inside/inhouse recruiters a different story.
Remember to try to tailor your resume for the
positions, the easier you make it for the recruiter
to notice your resume for the position the better.
[ pay attention to the quality of your resume,
[ not like the old days. Your resume should have
[ good grammar and spelling.

8) Interview
ITs about what YOU did, not what the group or we did.
also, the interview is as much about you interviewing
them.

9) Research
Research the company and those whom you may interview
with. linkedin.

10) Make it easy to find you. But keep non-profession
info off the web. ( i.e. be careful with facebook,
myspace, etc... remember some people have been
fired due to info on their profiles. )
a) Setup a linked in profile.
b) Setup a vanity page (blog) that shows your
tech/professional knowledge/interests.
c) post your resume online on monster/dice
[ hint, DO not include SS#.. monster got breached
[ recently and a lot of ID "theft" happened.
d) post your resume on your own page.

Linked in info:
-------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LinkedIn

1) SGVLUG has a group on linkedin.
You are allowed to belong in a max of 50 groups.
( WOW 50! yes it seems a lot! but.. you can
quickly approach that, for example there
are mutliple LINUX and Open Source groups
you may want to join. Some local, some
national. Likewise UUASC, and USENIX. )

2) You are allowed 3000 invites.
( I think I said 5000, but now that I think
a bit more I think that the max number of
friends you are allowed on facebook,
everyone else has to be a "fan" on fb.)

3) DON'T say you "don't know" someone,
as that can lockup their ability to