[SGVLUG] Meeting Idea - linux at CC - Re: Circuit City in trouble

Ted Arden ted at tux.org
Tue Nov 4 14:59:53 PST 2008

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008, matti wrote:

> Sweet Meeting idea!!!
>
> When would you like to present ;)

HAHHAHHA... real world linux implimentations.
you'd be surprised how much open source stuff
i've leaked into corp america and how much
stuff is being leveraged throughout the world.
about 2 months ago i got redhat 7.2 working
on a state of the art box with a fresh kernel.org
kernel for the 2nd largest retailer in the
world in Madrid.  Company called Carrefour.

without going into gory details, people pretty
much use the basic tools.  PXE booting into
a small initrd with various flags and drivers
for mostly serial (yeah, DB9 and TTYSx will
never die) and some USB stuff to run the touch
screens on self checkout systems, receipt printers,
and bar code scanners.  then fall into native
or java based applications that run the UI
and back office transactions stuff.

like i said, a lot of little computers all doing
the same thing.. kinda like HPC but instead of
protien folding or nuclear simulation they are
processing credit cards or doing inventory lookup.

unfortunately, until i can get out of RIC and
helping out CC, don't count on a preso anytime
soon.  would like to next time i'm back in the
land of the sun and non-humidity.

and out of your 3 points below, i agree with
all of them, except firedog services, as it keeps
me from getting fone calls from family to help them
setup their [insert tech here] stuff.  for the
same reason i stoppped building machines for people.

=ted=