[SGVLUG] Meeting Idea - linux at CC - Re: Circuit City in trouble

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 12:28:31 PST 2008

Sweet Meeting idea!!!

When would you like to present ;)

--- On Tue, 11/4/08, Ted Arden <ted at tux.org> wrote:

> From: Ted Arden <ted at tux.org>
> Subject: Re: [SGVLUG] Circuit City in trouble
> To: "SGVLUG Discussion List." <sgvlug at sgvlug.net>
> Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2008, 10:37 AM
> yeah.. i work at CC and they are doing
> okay.. not great, but all retailers are
> suffering.  i built their linux store
> infrastructure which has been implimented
> across 40% of their chain. (probably would be
> a good topic for a monthly meeting).

> Best Buy...

personally I'd much rather shop at Circuit City

> saying 'don't buy this and do buy that from CC'
> is not like sharperimage who sold crap.  this is
> still the #2 electronics store in the country.

fyi - for the record

1) Personally I don't think people should buy
giftcards. they're typically a value loser for
consumers. ( regardless of the store.. )

2) I don't know much about the quality of
firedog services, I think it should be OK
to purchase services which will be rendered
in the present time. ( i.e. I disagree with
original post item #2 which I cut n pasted )

3) Extended warranties - for 90% of the time
imho I think the consumer gets the short end
on these. Thus I recommend people not to purchase
them - one exception is laptop warranties which
over the screen and theft.

> > I posted this so people are aware
> > 1: Don't buy any CC giftcards (if CC goes bankrupt
> you would be considered an unsecured creditor)
> > 2: Don't buy any Firedog services
> > 3: Don't buy any extended warranties if
> they're CC's
> > 4: If you buy anything and need to return remember
> check local CC's if one closes others will take returns
> (as per internal letter)

best
matti