[SGVLUG] Serial ports was Re: Circuit City in trouble, etc.

David Lawyer dave at lafn.org
Wed Nov 5 16:53:31 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 05:59:53PM -0500, Ted Arden wrote:
[snip]
> without going into gory details, people pretty
> much use the basic tools.  PXE booting into
> a small initrd with various flags and drivers
> for mostly serial (yeah, DB9 and TTYSx will
> never die)  [snip]

And I just revised my master copy of the Serial HOWTO that I wrote
(sort of co-wrote) years ago to imply that the Serial Port was
obsolete.  At least it doesn't seem to come with most new PCs.  Now
I'll need to revise the revision.  Any more comments about the current
state of use of the serial port which should have followed the Cable
Conference of 1888 recommendations by using twisted pair for high
speed.

			David Lawyer