[SGVLUG] Upgrading on a slow connection

Charles Wyble charles at thewybles.com
Tue Nov 4 09:35:36 PST 2008

matti wrote:

> Yup! No way you will get Vista to work on an
> older system.... Vista even had trouble with
> systems rated as "Vista Capable" but didn't
> have enough RAM or a good enough video card.

Once again. This isn't true.
> Vista is a pig, and even my windows friends
> prefer XP at home and at work.

Vista isn't a pig. I have found it much more stable especially under heavy
network traffic loads then XP was.

Have you run Vista at all? I'm curious how many people in the linux
community
that bash Vista have run it?

Now before anyone says I'm a Windows fanboy, consider the fact that I am
one of the
most prolific LUG speakers in Southern California,  attend almost every
LUG meeting (including San Diego
and Riverside) and give very large portions of time helping people use
Linux.

I just want people to stop spreading disinformation whatever they are
talking about. :)

> NOW, I thank we all agree that downloads
> should be better and smart and at least
> give you the option of downloading JUST
> what you need for your hardware setup.
> That would be nice.

I think that's more the way the distro is put together.
> OK David, another good reason to join us
> at the meeting, is that YOU can bring your
> system and UPGRADE it there! During the meeting!!

David,

May I ask why you don't have broadband? Is it not available in your area?