[SGVLUG] Speaker for Aug

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 20:32:35 PDT 2008

Well Ubuntu Server is a true server (no gui). I know I installed Ubuntu 7.10
server & really wanted a gui so I installed the desktop package (I can't
remember the name of the webapp that gives your server a gui but didn't try
that 1st):
apt-get ubuntu-desktop (iirc)

But what I found is that by building my box in that manner, it's really slow
(bloated mayhaps?). I did that because I wanted a true LAMP server (the
ubuntu server install has an option for LAMP which installs all the packages
automagically).

Ubuntu 8.04 is my main environment. I'd like to see what type of
options/tips/tricks/tools Ubuntu users can use to get as much of a true LAMP
server as possible but still have a gui. It'd also be interesting to see how
well different versions of Ubuntu run on the same hardware (Ubuntu vs.
Kubuntu vs. Xubuntu vs. Gobuntu). I'd also like to see what types of codecs
Ubuntu power users utilize for media since that's always an argument I hear
about ppl who try to convert from Windows (along w/video & network drivers).

--miguel