[SGVLUG] SATA card for Fedora

Munjal Thakkar m00njal at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 23:19:16 PST 2008

a lot of the higherend highpoint cards are pretty good if you ask me, but as
stated in reviews, the tech support doesn't just suck, its non-existant.
3ware is overpriced for a home media server if you ask me, i would shop
around for a highpoint and go for that, see if it works out for you. So far
I have an older card, an 1820 with 8 sata ports running a raid 5 with all
channels with 500 gig drives, so far its been running fine (for the most
part) for over a year. So it all depends.

Or, if your media server is strictly to just place media, why not take a
look at www.freenas.org. ? Its BSD based actually, but works really well and
the software raid built in has a lot of support behind it and proven
stability (and read/write speeds of 400MB/sec even, on the right hardware).
This might be off tracking, but could lead to a possibly cheaper solution?