[SGVLUG] unstable ubuntu system

Miguel Hernandez migtek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 14:10:28 PST 2008

I wouldn't doubt if it was that, Matti. I know it sounds super simple but
WinXP requires 256MB RAM just to run the OS w/no apps running. Ubuntu's can
be pretty beefy, but lots of older machines still had >512.

I mean Vista, w/all its bells & (fake) whistles, REQUIRES 768MB RAM for the
OS- so it's 3x as bloated as XP. I dissuade EVERYONE who asks me that
they're thinking of upgrading unless they need DX10- 99% of the ppl have no
idea what that is so they have their answer. But it's hard to ween ppl off
of some idea in their brain until I tell them go ahead, upgrade but make
sure that your budget includes another 1GB RAM stick. They usually get it
after that. =P

--miguel