System monitoring tools - Re: [SGVLUG] unstable ubuntu system

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 15:16:33 PST 2008

Hi!

OK!

So, we suspect the instability to be due to limited
RAM resources.... SO how do we confirm this?

I recall using some tools back in my SGI super
computing days which were really really nice,
as the system could generate a log file and
you could see what the bottle neck was...

I thought SGI was going to open source it..
and looking at

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/

it looks like they may have something
(not the exact item I used back in "the day")
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/pcp/

Question -

What monitoring tools do people here like to use?

personally, the standard I've seen include with
Ubuntu leave more to be desired.
(I would like to see a history log of the graphs)

thanks!
matti

ps - I've managed to find an additional 128MB RAM
to put into the system (upto 384MB now.. still short
of 512MB, but I only have 2 sdram slots.. )