[SGVLUG] unstable ubuntu system

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 13:40:49 PST 2008

Hi,

--- Miguel Hernandez <migtek at gmail.com> wrote:

> Could it be something as simple as another 256MB stick of RAM? If ya
> got one
> laying around, don't think it'd hurt to try.
>
> --miguel

possible... tho RAM prices for this old machine
indicate I probably would be better off buying a
newer system... 256MB SDRAM is about $30, 512MB about
$56

hmmm... I thought this system had 512MB but
turnsout it may only have 256MB...

matti at tigerette:~$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:        255748     239392      16356          0       5204
92304
-/+ buffers/cache:     141884     113864
Swap:       240932     106072     134860
matti at tigerette:~$

[ hmmm... didn't the "mem" command give this sort of info also..

I guess I should be looking for a lighter version of Ubuntu
and another 256MB of RAM...

funny, I was pricing out systems and components...
looks like there is no good way for an affordable
upgrade of a MB/RAM/CPU to an older system.
(the Fry's ECS MB/CPU combos are crap from my
experience.. nothing but trouble.. )

best
matti