recovery attempts- Re: [SGVLUG] How to write an /effective/ warning message...

matti mathew_2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 21:57:36 PST 2008

Hi!

ROFLMAO!!!

funny!

backup - what a pain!

> You're Free To Choose
>
> Alternatives to MozyHome

[..]
>     * Run a cron job of rsync, gzip and mcrypt piped over ssh to your
> friend's server over his DSL line.
>
> I don't see a problem with that last suggestion, do you? ;)
>
> [as you might guess, Linux isn't a supported platform -- kinda makes
> that last suggestion rather ironic as you'd have to install linux in
> order to do that in the first place...]

so, the laptop I was attempting to recover
turns out to be giving me some interesting
lessons...

using the Fedora Live CD I picked up from SCALE,
I managed to boot the system nicely :)
It managed to notice the external USB thumb drive :)
It managed to notice the external USB Maxtor one-touch drive :)
( which I had asked the client to use.. and to backup the
data... LOL, it sat new in the box for 3 months.. before
I opened it up this last week.)

BAD
The laptop HD can be seen.. BUT I can not access it.
When I attempt to do so, it complains that I need
to mount it... and the mount using the force
option fails!! AARGH. Maybe the drive is completely
shot??

Well.. I figured let's find some more Live CDs which
I can use for recovery...

found a bunch which looked interesting to try...

so I started to download ...
DRAT Mozilla from the live CD forces you to load
to the desktop!!! I want to put things on the thumb
or maxtor usb drive... argh...

You'd figure that the download default screen would
allow more options. (I don't really want to customize
a live CD... pisser)

well, I'll let you know how it goes later...
hopefully I will be able to recover the majority
of the data from the HD w/o having to send it
into a recovery service.

cheers!
matti